"Steal like an artist" principles ✨
As you know, we’re ALWAYS looking for inspiration around here. So I stumbled upon this YouTube video that listed quite a few Steal Like an Artist principles this morning: https://youtu.be/wX-UEBAC7KY
See the episode for the full discussion.
3 Steal like an artist principles:
1. Remember that you are the sum of your influences
Since nothing is ever created brand new and from scratch, your voice comes from the combination you create by mixing them all together. Not only is this freeing, but it is ever-evolving, as you grow and change, and add new influences to what you do. You are NEVER perfectly copying your inspiration and it’s in your “imperfection” that you become just the “right” version of you. So, don’t sweat that you started out trying to “copy” someone’s song or style, because as you work through it, you will figure out where the song departs to become some new creation that’s all yours.
2. Let your other “distractions” fuel your creative soul.
Sometimes you problem-solve WHILE creating something else. What we mean is that sometimes taking a walk or taking a trip or taking a nap can fill in gaps of your creative problem; since your mind continues to work on it even as you are away from it. And—or—sometimes that weird quirk—of you playing PacMan as a mental break from your creating, as an example, gets folded in as a left of center influence on the main art. Perhaps the objectives of the PacMan game become the inspiration for the lyrics of a song that you’re working on is how something like this would work. So, nothing is EVER lost; it becomes the fabric of the final work that you create, if it complements the art in some shape, form, or fashion.
3. Seek creative play
We all want to be this considered serious artists, but part of discovering what you want to create is to TRY a bunch of different shit—some of which Will ABSOLUTELY NOT work out. –I have been TRYING to figure out how to garden for three decades now with little success. 😟 But that’s okay. –Everything you create gives you “information” and fuels your joy, which will find its way into what you do (if you allow it). So take the time to let learning scales take you down a rabbit hole, so that you create a brand new song that is inspired from a few of the chords you heard strung together. We give you permission, if that’s what you need.
What about you? Which idea resonates with YOU?
Did you know that along with putting together our next album, we are working on our first book?
Here’s the link, if you want to pre-order: https://bit.ly/prejippiebklanding
Here’s what we’re into now:
· One of our videos for our song, “Tell Me What You Want,” is going gangbusters in Vietnam! https://bit.ly/tellmewhatyouwantvid
· “Faith in Me” on Union 999 Independent Playlist: https://spoti.fi/3Jusm2Q
· “I Miss You” got picked up for a Spotify Playlist! https://spoti.fi/3jha4HP
· Tom Ray’s Art Podcast: https://bit.ly/tomrayspodcast2june2022
· “Sugar Fit” on Darkest Corners of the World Podcast S2 E3 http://bit.ly/sugarfitdarkestpod
· “Flying High” (from “Sugar Fit” album) on Toes in the Sand Playlist http://bit.ly/toesplaylist
· “Sugar Fit” on his Spotify “Indie: Undiscovered But Brilliant: Vol. 3” http://bit.ly/SugarFitonPlaylist2
· “Sugar Fit” on No Sugar Radio http://bit.ly/nosugarradiosugarfit
If you like this, you might enjoy:
· Basic Recording Studio Setup: https://bit.ly/246basicstudiopost
· What to do when real life interrupts your artistic process? https://bit.ly/241reallifeblog
· 7 Strategies for rebounding from creative burnout: https://bit.ly/239digoutofburnoutblog
· How to give better interviews (for D.I.Y. Rock Star): https://bit.ly/236betterinterviewsblog
· How to give better live performances: https://bit.ly/219betterliveblog
· How to collaborate better (for D.I.Y. Rock Star): https://bit.ly/Ep163collaborateblog
· How to write quicker, but better (for D.I.Y. Rock Star): https://bit.ly/228writebetterblogpost
· Should you ever play for free? https://bit.ly/214playfreeblog
· 17 Tips for taking better band photos—ESPECIALLY if you taking them yourself: http://bit.ly/betterbandphotos
· First Music Video? 10 Best Websites for Free Stock Video Footage: http://bit.ly/freestockvideosprej
NOW: Funk album, “Sugar Fit,” by Bourgeoisie Paper Jam http://bit.ly/BandCampPMG
and follow on Spotify at https://bit.ly/bpjspotfollow
More Ways to experience B L O O M I N G P R E J I P P I E :
· All things “Sugar Fit”: https://bit.ly/SugarFitlanding
· Blog: http://bit.ly/bpblogsubscribe
· Shop: https://bit.ly/prejippieshop
· Patreon: https://bit.ly/PMGPatreon
· YouTube: http://bit.ly/youtubesubprejippie
· Gab & Jam podcast: https://bit.ly/gabandjamhq
· Soundcloud (music): https://soundcloud.com/prejippie
· Join the Bourgeoisie Paper Jam Street Team! https://bit.ly/BPJstreetteam
· Be the NEXT D.I.Y. Rock Star Handbook Pre-order: https://bit.ly/prejippiebklanding
· Funky Happy People (Who Listen to a Variety of Genres of Music) Facebook Group: http://bit.ly/funkyhappyjoin
· Be the Next D.I.Y. Rock Star Facebook Group: http://bit.ly/diyrockstarjoin
Please subscribe. Thanks. http://bit.ly/youtubesubprejippie
Until next Monday, here’s wishing love, peace, and chicken grease!