Basic legal documents for the D.I.Y. Rock Star
Once you start understanding that being a D.I.Y. Rock Star means having some business savvy, you will appreciate this episode. If you’re not there yet, bookmark this episode to come back to. In this episode, we share some legal documents to consider having as a D.I.Y. Rock Star.
*This is a non-sponsored post and please don’t take anything here as legal advance. Consult a lawyer to make sure the contracts you create are accurate to your business.
These are reasons why you would want the relationship to cover. If there is any dispute, there is at least a place to see what the expectations were at the beginning. That's the approach to this episode; to share the basic documents that will help protect your interests as you build your creative empires.
Check out the episode to hear the full discussion:
This topic was inspired by You Are The Brand podcast, Episode 320. How to Protect Your Business with (Legal) Bubble Wrap with Ashley Fillingim https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/you-are-the-brand/id828811790?i=1000554826198
TYPES OF CONTRACTS:
1. Coaching contracts (more than just how many sessions you will have; if you are discussing new ideas, there is a chance that the coach may try to gain leverage with it, if there is nothing in the contract that says he/she can’t)
2. Service agreements
3. Rules of engagement
4. Event hosting (rules for folks coming to your event)
6. Live performances (for folks who will be performing; or for you, as a performer)
1. Partnerships (who is responsible for what?)
2. Affiliate relationships (if you help me sell my _____, I will give you a portion of the proceeds; it’s great to have all the expectations in writing, so that you are clear on what is supposed to happen on both sides)
3. Sponsorships agreements (for folks who are going to sponsor your podcast, YouTube video, etc.)
4. Manufacturing agreements (if you’re creating a product)
5. Non-disclosure agreements (if you’re just talking about working together and sharing confidential information, it’s best if you have one of these in place)
1. Rules of agreement for if someone is interacting with you through your website or some other online platform
2. Terms and conditions
Folks ask if you can just download one you find online?
The answer is that it doesn’t fit—just as you wouldn’t put an 11 year old in Shaquille O’Neal’s business suit.
It won’t represent your unique brand.
It is likely to need quite a bit of tweaking to make it just right.
Things to keep in mind:
· According the podcast, most businesses are just one lawsuit away from going out of business, so taking care of these logistics is like “bubble wrapping” your business.
· Be wary of offering “guarantees” (for instance, I will continue to coach you until you make money. Or we will guarantee that you will make enough to cover the cost of this service.)
· Do you need a PDF contract for every single one of your business activities? Not necessarily, but your business SHOULD have them for the critical things that you do often.
· If your business grows, you will need either a lawyer—more expensive—or Legal Zoom—to make sure your contracts are in keeping with you want with your interactions. –No, this is NOT a sponsored post, so….
You might also like:
9 Tips for Collaborating Better: https://bit.ly/Ep163collaborateblog
What about you?
What legal documents do you think you will need while you are engaging and growing in your creative empire? We’ve love to hear from you.
Here’s what we’re into now:
· South By Southwest 2022 Travel vlog: https://bit.ly/sxsw2022travelvlog
· South By Southwest 2022 Trip Blog (food, music, observations): https://bit.ly/sxsw2022tripfoodmusicblog
· South By Southwest 2022 Session Takeaways: https://bit.ly/sxsw2022sessionsblog
· Differences between South By Southwest 2022 vs 2019: https://bit.ly/223diffsxsw2022vid
· South By Southwest 2019 Playlist: https://bit.ly/sxsw2019playlist
· Gearfest: http://bit.ly/gearfest2019youtube
We’ve got Sugar Fit ringtones! https://bit.ly/buysugarfitringtone
More Ways to consume B L O O M I N G P R E J I P P I E :
· All things “Sugar Fit”: https://bit.ly/SugarFitlanding
· Blog: http://bit.ly/bpblogsubscribe
· Shop: https://bit.ly/prejippieshop
· Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/bloomingprejippie
· Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/bloomingprejipp
· Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/bloomingprejippie
· Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/bloomingprejippie
· YouTube: http://bit.ly/youtubesubprejippie
· Gab & Jam podcast: https://bit.ly/gabandjamhq
· Soundcloud (music): https://soundcloud.com/prejippie
· Funky Happy People (Who Listen to a Variety of Genres of Music) Facebook Group: http://bit.ly/funkyhappyjoin
· Be the Next D.I.Y. Rock Star Facebook Group: http://bit.ly/diyrockstarjoin
‘Want to hang out with some folks who are traveling this same creative journey? Join us over on Facebook, where you can share your music, learn tips to make this lifestyle just a little easier, and fellowship with other musical artists.