Appropriation or appreciation?
This is quite a contentious topic, we know, but we think it’s worth exploring, since we have our OWN questions about where the line lies. So, this is just us exploring some of the thoughts underlying the issue.
These are some topics discussed in our episode:
1. What is appropriation?
2. Is it the artist’s job to educate the public about their influences/symbols/content?
3. Where is the line?
4. Elvis is dubbed the “King of Rock”—Who did that? or Benny Goodman was “The King of Swing”?
5. Eventually, both jazz and rock came to be thought of as “white music,” even though they were CLEARLY, historically originated by black artists. Is this because blacks didn’t embrace it as their own (as they have squarely done for rap)?
6. Is “appropriation” a uniquely American idea (because Europeans knew the black blues, rock, and jazz artists)?
Check out the episode to hear the full discussion.
Did you know that along with putting together our next album, we are working on our first book? Here’s the link, if you want to pre-order: https://bit.ly/prejippiebklanding
What do YOU think? We’d love to hear your thoughts on this topic! Talk to us in the comments below.
Here’s what we’re into now:
· Bass Day 2022 with our buddy, Earl Davis: https://bit.ly/bassday2022earl
· Tom Ray’s Art Podcast: https://bit.ly/tomrayspodcast2june2022
· “Sugar Fit” on Darkest Corners of the World Podcast S2 E3 http://bit.ly/sugarfitdarkestpod
· “Flying High” (from “Sugar Fit” album) on Toes in the Sand Playlist http://bit.ly/toesplaylist
· “Sugar Fit” on his Spotify “Indie: Undiscovered But Brilliant: Vol. 3” http://bit.ly/SugarFitonPlaylist2
· “Sugar Fit” on No Sugar Radio http://bit.ly/nosugarradiosugarfit
If you like this, you might enjoy:
· Musical Discoveries #3: http://bit.ly/ep71musdisc3vid
· Coronavirus for the D.I.Y. Rock Star Playlist: http://bit.ly/diycoronavirusplay
· Beyond Blooming Backstage Grove Studios Tour: http://bit.ly/bbbgrovetourvid
· “Inspiration for a D.I.Y. Music Lyric Video: How We Improved Our Video Making During Coronavirus Quarantine” https://bit.ly/videomakingblog
· “First Music Video? 10 Best Websites for Free Stock Video Footage” http://bit.ly/freestockvideosprej
· “Further Confessions: I Hate Video Editing” http://bit.ly/ihatevideoediting
· “YouTube Frenzy: But the Beauty of this Rabbit Hole” http://bit.ly/youtubefrenzy
· “Tips for Competing with Yourself (for the D.I.Y. Rock Star)” http://bit.ly/Ep94BV2019blog20
· “Tips for Video Making (for the D.I.Y. Rock Star)” http://bit.ly/Ep86BV2019blog12
Please subscribe. Thanks. http://bit.ly/youtubesubprejippie
Until next Monday, here’s wishing love, peace, and chicken grease!
More Ways to experience B L O O M I N G P R E J I P P I E :
· All things “Sugar Fit”: https://bit.ly/SugarFitlanding
· Blog: http://bit.ly/bpblogsubscribe
· Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/bloomingprejippie
· Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/bloomingprejipp
· Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/bloomingprejippie
· Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/bloomingprejippie
· YouTube: http://bit.ly/youtubesubprejippie
· Gab & Jam podcast: https://bit.ly/gabandjamhq
· Soundcloud (music): https://soundcloud.com/prejippie
· Join the Bourgeoisie Paper Jam Street Team! https://bit.ly/BPJstreetteam
· Funky Happy People (Who Listen to a Variety of Genres of Music) Facebook Group: http://bit.ly/funkyhappyjoin
· Be the Next D.I.Y. Rock Star Facebook Group: http://bit.ly/diyrockstarjoin